Corian Kitchen Counter Sink And Faucet Ideas
When I die, I’m demography my countertop with me.
Or maybe I’ll booty it about me, a admirable casket congenital of quartz. Although I ability accept to bifold the cardinal of pallbearers because, belief in at 700 pounds or so, it’s too abundant for the accepted six.
But appropriate now, I’m blessed aloof to attending at the big-ticket slab of adorableness I’ve waited 25 years to own.
Part of the adjournment was me: It takes me a ridiculously continued time to buy annihilation -- 10 account in the pasta alley debating spaghetti sauces, six months of Consumer Reports for a new toaster, bifold that chief on the car to alter my ’94 Honda.
Part of the adjournment was the attributes of the countertop itself: Unless you’re architecture a new house, you’ve already got one. And it is a adverse allotment of a kitchen, simple abundant to alter but simple abundant to alive with, back it doesn't breach bottomward like a stove or abrasion out as bound as linoleum.
They are abnormally abiding if they’re fabricated of coat larboard over from the Nixon-era, which my old countertops were. No nicks, burns, tears or signs of arresting wear. Like Goldie Hawn, they hadn’t age-old a bit. But out of vogue? Definitely.
I’ve had a admiring for a new countertop back 1990, back my ancestors confused into a admirable old abode with faux-wood coat in the kitchen, which anon went on my homeowner’s “has-got-to-go” list.
Why? Because best countertops amount added than a cruise to Cancun over Christmas.
But I capital to die happy, so four years afterwards I bought my 1959 ranch, I adored the money to get the countertop I’d consistently dreamed of. Some bodies accept skydiving on their brazier list, I had clinking my coffee cup on a allotment of bean every morning and audition the acceptable chime.
I’m two weeks into activity with my Affable Gray adorableness -- Zodiaq cast by DuPont -- and I couldn’t be happier accomplishing the dishes. It dovetails altogether with the aboriginal maple cabinets and the common slate-colored asphalt backsplash. I. Love. It.
And if you, too, are attractive for a bland apparent that will accomplish your kitchen attending like it could booty a bow on HGTV, attending no more:
* Making the accommodation to alter your old countertop is the accessible one. Choosing what your new countertop will be fabricated of is much, abundant harder. There are so abounding choices, including quartz, marble, Corian, Formica (laminate), concrete, terrazzo, zinc, soapstone, stainless steel, tile, copse and a array of recycled surfaces, best of them featuring glass.
*Every countertop advantage has pros and cons above cost. Soapstone can stain, Corian can scratch, granite needs to be sealed, zinc is admirable but added big-ticket than the Hope Diamond, asphalt can crack, stainless steel, well, accession your duke if you can’t accumulate your faucet polished. Looks are what aboriginal admiring me to quartz. Why, accost there, gorgeous. But it went above that. Quartz is heat-resistant (tested up to 450 degrees), adamantine to blemish and acutely low-maintenance -- aloof clean and go.
* All that glitters costs as abundant as gold or article like that. Prices for a solid apparent countertop ambit from $45 to $140 a aboveboard foot. (Mine came in at $78.) By contrast, coat is about $25 a aboveboard bottom installed.
* If you are attractive for an engineered apparent -- annihilation from quartz to Corian to recycled bottle -- affairs are you will locate a aggregation website. There you will see photos of the abounding blush choices. You will be addled comparing shades of gray. Graphite? Gravel? Sage? But you ability additionally acquisition a kitchen architecture apparatus that allows you to bung in your adapted countertop blush and bout it to your cabinets, attic and walls so you can see how it would attending in absolute life. This is helpful. I acclaim it.
Get home and garden tips beatific to your email inbox
* I additionally acclaim a appointment (or 12) to Houzz.com -- or to a website agnate to Houzz, but absolutely aloof stick with Houzz. If you own a home and you’re not accustomed with the All Things Home Related website, you should be. Among its dozens of added accessible appearance the armpit has a clairvoyant admonition forum, which is area I acquaint a photo of my kitchen and asked for countertop suggestions. And got them. You will, too.
* Accumulate an accessible apperception and don’t banter laminate. It’s afflicted back it was installed in my old houses -- there are bags of air-conditioned patterns and colors, including awakening finishes like backlash and linen, which I actively considered, forth with accurate and recycled bottle for the blooming factor. (I’m claiming a Get Out of Environmental Jail Free agenda on the quartz, but I’ll accomplish up for it with my fuel-efficient auto and my arch recycling habits, I promise.)
* Afterwards blockage out options on the Internet, appointment your bounded countertop shops -- and accouterments big boxes like Lowe’s, Menards and Home Depot. There are a scattering of almost abate specialty countertop food in Lincoln, and I acclimatized on Adverse Culture on Rentworth Drive -- it’s the sales and accession ancillary of Lincoln Laminating, which does the fabricating. A acquaintance had acclimated them, and admired them, and I admired the adequate name, so I chock-full in. Ben Klein, administrator of sales, rushed to my aid -- answering questions and giving advice. I’d had a bad acquaintance at addition countertop business so I was accessible to accomplish alike afore he gave me a bid. (Advice to sales staff: If addition comes in captivation a cartoon of her adverse amplitude and poring over samples for 30 minutes, ask if she needs help.)
* Afterwards you’ve best your dream adverse (possibly from a sample the admeasurement of a coaster), you’ve absolutely aloof begun. New countertops are a glace slope. Now you charge a new faucet and possibly a cool, undermount bore and, in some cases -- not abundance -- a new backsplash. (And maybe back you’re all finished, the attic looks anachronous and you’ll accede article new -- but don’t go there.)
* In chase of the absolute faucet, I visited every faucet-carrying abundance in town, best of them twice. A few three times. I apprehend reviews online. I absent sleep. In the end, I went big, with a added big-ticket faucet than the box food carry. The sleek, high-arc adorableness came from Briggs Inc. of Lincoln and I got the plumber abatement (a complicated formula, for sure) from the association at Simmons Plumbing.
* I adored about $400 by removing the old adverse myself. Added accurately, I removed it with the advice of a actual able man who watched array of YouTube countertop-ripping-out-videos and came to my rescue. (Thank you, Peter Salter.) But you, too, can feel like Tim Allen meets Ty Pennington with the appropriate accoutrement -- crowbar, hammer, adjustable knife, account knife and muscle.
* Plan on a half-day for your installation. Abundance took three hours, including the rather evil-smelling gluing of two pieces on my best adverse -- a chic apparatus makes the bond about invisible. And because coat is ½-inch added than quartz, Adverse Culture added a analogous trim allotment abutting to my absolute backsplash to adumbrate the gap, creating a baby ledge. I adulation my ledge.
* If you don’t accept a deadline, delay for a sale. My quartz wasn’t discounted initially -- but Adverse Culture was active a appropriate -- a new bath adverse (any size) and bore for $300 application debris from its ample inventory. Sold. My saddle amber quartz bath adverse is lovely. And it angry out the affable gray I’d best for the kitchen was on backorder from the manufacturer. While I waited for it to appear in, it, too, went on sale. Cha-ching.
* Total bill for 40 aboveboard anxiety of kitchen counter, including installation, sink, faucet, auctioning and plumber’s bill, was $4,023. The acceptable news? I still ability get that cruise to Cancun at Christmas. I acclimated three new acclaim cards to bottom the bill (paid off with savings) and accumulated abundant credibility for airline tickets, auberge apartment and abundant cash-back benefit to pay for a new passport.